No fuss, No Confusion- Integrative Medicine is the most modern treatment that we have now. Why such boast of? What makes us claim so? To seek the answer we need to understand the “Integrative Medicine” inside and out.
What makes Integrative Medicine relevant in the modern world?
To be precise- The sudden emergence of the “Lifestyle Disease/NCD aka Noncommunicable Disease”. Question is- What is “Lifestyle/NCD Disease”?
Here is a comprehensive chart giving all the information on menacing lifestyle diseases which you need to know right now.
What “Lifestyle Diseases” can do?
Have a look at the WHO report– Noncommunicable diseases (NCDs) kill 38 million people each year. Here is a breakdown of their collective onslaught-
(Data Figure- In million)
These 4 groups of diseases account for 82% of all NCD deaths. Are you at risk of NCD disease?
There are high chances of being suffered by the NCD disease if you have picked up any of these-
- Tobacco use
- Physical inactivity
- The harmful use of alcohol
- Unhealthy diets
Beware now as WHO also listed Ageing, Rapid Unplanned Urbanization, and The Globalization of Unhealthy Lifestyles as the core reason of NCD diseases causing-
- Raised Blood Pressure
- Increased Blood Glucose
- Elevated Blood Lipids
In order to find the catalyst of such worldwide mayhem WHO published a spine-chilling report of NCD aftermath–
- Tobacco accounts for around 6 million deaths every year (including from the effects of exposure to second-hand smoke) and is projected to increase to 8 million by 2030.
- About 3.2 million deaths annually can be attributed to insufficient physical activity.
- More than half of the 3.3 million annual deaths from harmful drinking are from NCDs.
- In 2010, 1.7 million annual deaths from cardiovascular causes have been attributed to excess salt/sodium intake.
How to prevent the NCD?
Thanks for understanding the gravity of the situation. Here is what The World Health Organisation has prescribed–
- A comprehensive approach
- Cohesive treatment system to reduce the risks associated with NCDs,
- Interventions to prevent and control them
- Reducing the risk factors associated with these diseases.
And how this will be possible? Welcome, The “Integrative Medicine”.
Here is a definition from The National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine on the latest trend of medical world-
“Integrative medicine combines mainstream medical therapies and CAM (Complementary and Alternative) therapies for which there is some high-quality scientific evidence of safety and effectiveness.”
Suppose you are suffering from a chronic disease. You go to an integrative treatment specialist and he treats you differently. He does not attempt for speedy recovery or prescribe any pills or apply any time consuming natural medicinal procedure– the Integrative Medicine expert treats you differently.
He prescribes you a treatment where both Conventional Treatment and Alternative Medicine take care of your ailments simultaneously. The expert quizzes about your lifestyle from diet to work schedule and seeks information related to your social and personal behavior.
And why he does so?
The objective of Integrative Medicine is to-
- Prevention of disease
- Minimisation of medicine intake
- Usher in complete wellness
- Keeping you fit and healthy
WHO wants prevention and disease minimizing to be of paramount importance to battle against NCD diseases. The latest trend of treatment complements with evidence-based and flexible treatment.
Moreover, Integrative Medicine is against “Disease Management” school of treatment. Complete wellness is it’s only goal to encounter “Lifestyle diseases” and beyond. Here is an insight how this becomes feasible-
1. Beyond Conventional and Alternative Treatments:- Integrative Medicine amalgams both conventional and alternative treatments. It practices the scientifically proven treatment tactics which are best for patients’ present disease. With forty years of research and well-documented clinical interventions, Integrative Medicine addresses know-how to work with the mental and emotional aspects of a person’s health.
2. Stable and Flexible:– Not dedicated towards any particular school of treatments, Integrative Medicine has more flexible options under its belt to provide stable treatment to both chronic and regular diseases. As per Dr. Weil, Integrative Medicine “doesn’t seem wedded to a particular dogma, Western or Eastern, only to the get-the-patient-better philosophy.”
3. Prevention and Complete Wellness:- Integrative Medicine’s thrives to heal the patient from the core. The holistic treatment first aims for disease minimization and early prevention. Ensuring them, the Integrative medicine intervenes the whole spectrum of health care- from treatment to rehabilitation and recovery.
4. Multi-Dimensional Treatment: In order to achieve “Get Well, Live Well and Stay Well’, the Integrative Medicine takes complete care of patient’s body, mind and spirit. It collects data of patient’s physical, emotional, mental, social, spiritual and environmental influences and engages the patient to the treatment process from day one for a complete healing and a wellness.
5. Doctor-Patient Relationship:- An exclusive trait- the “Doctor-Patient” engagement” in Integrative Medicine is the USP and biggest takeaway. Here, the patients are not mere a receiver of treatment but an active part. They remain engaged as an informed and empowered partner and are included in the treatment from the early stage of the holistic treatment.
The Integrative Medicine treatment has extended benefits. There is no extra baggage of rigorously sticking to any particular school of medicine. Depending on the circumstances, one can easily modify the treatments, applying what suits best for the diseases at that time with an aim for holistic wellbeing. Now, consider this to the present gloomy health scenario and unhealthy lifestyles- will you go for Integrative Medicine today?