Lifestyle modification involves altering long-term habits, typically of eating & physical activity, precisely food & regime and maintaining the new behavior as a habit forever.
One of the best aspects of Healthcare Reform is it starts to emphasize on PREVENTION.
WHY LIFESTYLE MEDICINE IS REQUIRED?
The environment today has drastically changed and reflects unhealthy Dietary Habits & Sedentary Lifestyles leading to LIFESTYLE DISORDERS. The World Health Organization and The UN say that more than 70% of diseases today are caused by Lifestyle Factors, and NON-COMMUNICABLE DISEASES (NCD) are a leading cause of mortality worldwide.
How To Prevent Lifestyle Disorders?
As the challenges to maintaining healthy behavior over a long term, MOTIVATION is the dynamic entity which needs continuous attention to put a DIET , PHYSICAL ACTIVITY & STRESS MANAGEMENT in place to achieve the goal in a holistic approach.
FOR A HEALTHY MIND
- Make slow gradual changes in habit
- Create a new vision of you
- Set Achievable goals that you can maintain
- Get support ex: team work in exercise /yoga
- Change starts in Your BRAIN not in a GYM!
- Have Good Relationships
- Get 6 to 8 hours of sleep
FOR A HEALTHY BODY
- Moderation is the key while you enjoy your food, as food is a source of great pleasure
- Fill up colorful fruits & vegetables in your diet along with healthy carbs & whole grains
- Increase protein, vitamins and minerals
- Shift from saturated fats to unsaturated fats
- Limit Sugar & Salt and refined foods
- Keep fit & get moving, a 30-minute exercise is a must
- Eat seasonal, avoid genetically modified & hybrid foods…Go ORGANIC
- Drink water it flushes your system of toxins
- Not just what you eat, but how you eat supports a healthy lifestyle ex: No watching TV/ Driving? Working while eating. This is a stress on your digestive system
- Never skip breakfast.
- Chew your food properly as the process of digestion begins in your mouth.
- EAT early, eat smart, eat slow, eat often, eat small
- Include Antioxidants in your diet apart from carbohydrate, fats & protein in reasonable amounts. Antioxidants (vitamin C&E, Minerals & Flavonoids) protect the body from damage caused by free radicals which is formed as a part of metabolism.
- Improve access to healthy food eg: choice architecture where healthy foods are placed in easy access than unhealthy fast foods.
- FOOD SWAP is a healthy alternative to eat right, ex: swap mayonnaise for flavoured curd, French fries for baked potatoes, ice cream for frozen fruit pulp, full cream for skimmed milk.
- Ayurveda an ancient science of life & longevity places importance on DIET & REGIME. A typical healthy meal should ideally comprise of 6 tastes (SHAD RASAS) or else metabolism is imbalanced and this results in lifestyle disorders.
For this very reason, cornflakes cannot be a complete breakfast. Ayurveda advises to stop eating before you feel full.
The core element of a Lifestyle modification Diet would be to keep metabolism in a balance, if metabolism is imbalanced due to wrong diet or inactivity the end products or metabolism is impaired resulting in lifestyle disorders.